In 2011, Blacksburg Fork and Cork debuted Can Do!, a food drive benefiting local food pantries and hunger relief programs. The seventh annual Can Do! supported Micah’s Backpack and over 1,700 items were collected! In addition to having festival attendees bring food donations to the festival, we announced our “Pack the Backpack!” initiative for this year. We asked local restaurants and businesses to help support Micah’s Backpack by donating a week’s worth of one of the below food items. These donated items were packed into a large backpack that was on display at the Fork and Cork festival site. Over $1600 worth of food was donated through the “Pack the Backpack” initiative! Thank you to all who participated!
Thank you to those who sponsored this year!
Food Items Needed in Individual Serving Sizes:
- 100% Juiceboxes
- Chicken or vegetable soup 10.75 oz
- Fruit cups (In juice or lite syrup)
- Individual Mac & Cheese cups
- Peanut Butter (max 10.75 oz)
- Tuna 5 oz
- Canned Pasta (max 14.75 oz)
- By partnering with 10 Blacksburg schools, Micah’s Backpack provides 6 weekend meals and snacks for children from low-income families. Currently, 300 children in our schools receive a gift of nourishing food during the academic year and approximately 150 during the summer school break. 100% juice boxes make up an important part of our menu and they share more than 24,000 per year.
Micah’s Backpack, a community ministry is sponsored by St. Michael Lutheran Church.